Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

if "the MH way" could expand to C89 and posix threads, we'd have some
options that were both performance and correct.

I think we already assume C89 as a minimum.  However, I'm not sure I want
to jump off the threads cliff just yet :-/

The cheap hack way out of this is to set up a select() loop, create a pipe(), set a timer, then do the lock. If the alarm fires, write a byte down the pipe from the signal handler which triggers a return from the select(), and a lookup of the returned FD tells you "timeout!"

No, really.

--lyndon