Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 10:23:43 -0500

Ken wrote:

> Make sense?

Your small examples do, but there's nothing to stop dangerous
concurrent operations, which we're starting to get to:

> >* a "refile" that made a heckuva mess
>
> You're running refile the same time as an "inc" or "pick"?

It can happen, such as with cron jobs.

> I'm trying to see how that's not a recipe for disaster, no
> matter what :-) Well, actually, I think in the refile case
> that's one where the sequence file should be locked for
> the whole operation; if that's done, it should work out
> fine. "folder -pack" is actually one I'm unsure about
> ... but I am leaning toward having the sequence file
> locked during that whole operation as well.

No doubt.  At this point, I'm not sure what the criterion is
for deciding whether an operation needs to be locked.  So I
think that all of them need to be.