Re: [Nmh-workers] Message-IDs and Content-IDs

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Message-IDs and Content-IDs
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:46:49 -0500

Tom wrote:

> ... MAC addresses are just as forge-able; there are utilities on any
> modern OS to let you spoof that.  Moreover, if I have a machine that
> *is* exposing a "real", legitimate, vendor-assigned MAC address,
> I'm not sure I want to publish that to the world.

The idea was to sha1 hash them so they'd effectively be random.
But Lyndon's idea of using random makes more sense.

And it looks like one of my ISPs overwrites Message-ID completely,
anyway.

> More generally, I'd prefer to opt out of any scheme that involves
> creating an anonymized message ID.  It looks way too much like something
> a spammer would do.  I know I've got filters that will bit-bucket
> messages with all-hex message IDs; I'm probably not the only one.

Do you need anything beyond what's already provided?  I
thought you change LocalName(1) calls to LocalName(0) to
use localname?