Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Pee

From: Paul Vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Peek
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:58:31 +0000

On 2/3/2012 5:42 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> Alright, here are some things I've been thinking about in no particular
> order:

i am +1 to your recommendations. i have some comments on alternatives.

> - I discovered that with making REALLYDUMB the default, I've run into
>   a number of cases where my draft doesn't have a From: header (this
>   happens when using dist or forw), and the constructed one is wrong
>   (either it's "kenh" which our SMTP server now rejects, or at home
>   it's "address@hidden", which is also rejected. I've
>   realized that we should deal better with this.  I propose we have
>   a new .mh_profile entry that is used as the default From: when one
>   isn't supplied in a draft.  Objections?

i think that we should not emit a From: without an @FQDN, or fail to
emit a From:. if the components file did not give us a From: then we
should autogenerate From: address@hidden and let the gods sort it out.

> - Jerry Peek, this is for you, assuming you're still around.  The MH/nmh
>   book is a great resource, but it hasn't been updated in a while.  Would
>   you be interested in updating some stuff for some of the newer nmh
>   features?  I'm thinking specifically of the new format/mhl filter,
>   SMTP server/port selection, authentication with Cyrus-SASL, those
>   sorts of things.  I could help you with that, it's just that I'm not
>   really a writer.

this likely depends on ORA thinking that a new edition might sell,
perhaps electronic-only.