Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Pee

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Peek
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 20:04:28 -0800

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:

>>> - Jerry Peek, this is for you, assuming you're still around.  The
>>> MH/nmh book is a great resource, but it hasn't been updated in a
>>> while.  Would you be interested in updating some stuff for some of the
>>> newer nmh features?  I'm thinking specifically of the new format/mhl
>>> filter, SMTP server/port selection, authentication with Cyrus-SASL,
>>> those sorts of things.  I could help you with that, it's just that I'm
>>> not really a writer.

As I suspected, Jerry dropped off the list because he's been busy. I
chatted with him and he doesn't have any time to commit to this.

>>this likely depends on ORA thinking that a new edition might sell,
>>perhaps electronic-only.
>
> I was under the vague impression that ORA gave Jerry back the book and
> he can now do whatever he wants with it, but obviously Jerry is the one
> to comment on that.

I can comment on that too since I was in the discussion with Jerry and
Tim. We persuaded Tim to relicense the book under the GPL and I was the
one who did the SourceForge set-up. Please see:

  http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/copying.html

Since I'm all for updating The MH Book, I'd be happy to help upload new
files to SourceForge. I may even be able to wordsmith a little (but only
if I get more than one dive and one MH-E release in a year :-). I can
also make you or a volunteer a rand-mh.sourceforge.net developer so that
they can check in changes on their own and answer questions about the
book's roadmap.

It's truly great to see all the activity. Being being on nmh mail evokes
a rather unfamiliar feeling. Thanks a million, Ken and all!

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/