Re: [Nmh-workers] mailxi and attachements

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mailxi and attachements
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:30:32 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
 > In the message dated: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:48:55 +0100,
 > The pithy ruminations from Aleksander Matuszak on
 > <Re: [Nmh-workers] mailxi and attachements> were:
 > => Ralph Corderoy writes:
 > =>
 > => > Hi,
 > => >
 > => > I still use mail(1) for sending one-line emails or in pipes.
 >
 > Yes, me too.

i use it in scripts, but not interactively.  i might, if it
shared .mh_aliases.

 > =>
 > => More imporant (for me) is the possibility to send only file(s) as
 > => attachements.
 >
 > Certainly possible with nmh, but not the easiest thing when interactively
 > composing a message.

i use the attached script, called "forward", to bridge the interactive
use gap.  it looks at your request, and its content, and generates
appropriate mhbuild syntax.

from within vi, i might use:
    !!forward foo.jpg    (or ":r !forward foo.jpg")
which would result in the draft in my edit buffer containing:
    #image/jpeg; name="foo.jpg" [ - ] foo.jpg

likewise,
    !!forward last:3
results in:
    #forw [ - ] +mh 177 178 179
(the foldername and message numbers are expanded to "absolute"
values so that if i run more mh commands before sending this draft,
the attachments are still what i first expected them to be.)

i can guarantee there are corner cases my script doesn't handle, and
obvious optimizations to be made.  my mh wrappers and add-ons have all
grown organically over time -- none were the result of a "design", and
most deserve a rewrite.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 33.1 degrees)