Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: should nmh be an MTA or an MUA?

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: should nmh be an MTA or an MUA?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:28:50 -0600

On January 28, 2010 at 10:55, markus schnalke wrote:

> Nmh should work on a mailbox in the local filesystem. Incoming mail
> should enter as plain-text through inc. Outgoing mail should leave as
> plain-text to an MTA.

Not sure about this statement, especially "plain-text".

MH was written at a time when security considerations were
not given much thought.  I think TLS support for submitting
email to an MTA has become more of an essential function
of MUAs (and the common GUI-oriented MUAs do support this).

There are some organizations where all network traffic
must be encrypted, and if MUAs are to submit to a
central MTA for delivery, nmh would need TLS support
to do this.

I'm not sure it is safe to assume that someone is able
to install and run a third-party program on their local
system to work as a secure submission proxy for nmh.

--ewh