[Nel] RE: Nel miscellanea

From: Nel List
Subject: [Nel] RE: Nel miscellanea
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 08:53:53 -0800

> I noticed that 3_light.bat contained a very similar command as well.  This
> doesn't help me very much working on a Windows machine and not
> having a bash

You might want to get Cygwin and install it. It runs fine on
Win98 and Win2k, and comes with bash and all the usual shell tools.

Another goodie to get for your Windows box is perl (typically, from
the ActivePerl distribution).

> >because this isn't a perfect world, what keeps a user from just
> recompiling
> >the code with for instance wireframing enabled to give himself an unfair
> >advantage over the other users. This is a real possibility with GPL. My

If the data goes over the wire to the user's machine, it is visible
to an enterprising user (witness ShowEQ). Re-compiling the client
doesn't change this in any real way (as long as all decisions are
made on the server).

> We have unified the export / bulid process for all NeL 3d media.

What I've found lacking the most when looking through the NeL sources
is simply documentation on how to build and use it; especially under
Windows. There's all kinds of miscellaneous DSW files scattered over
the source tree, and nowhere does it say which ones should be built,
in what order, or what the other requisite tools/libraries needed are.

> Yes, the scripts was missing ! Sorry for this. It should be ok now.

Does this mean you don't have an automated daily build? Having a
machine that checks out a clean source into an empty directory, and
turns the crank to build the real product, is a must-have for any
engineering organization. You may find that if your build is too
complicated to get that going, effort you put into fixing that may
improve the issue above, too.