nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: limiting the amount of position history

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: limiting the amount of position history
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 21:23:42 +0100

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 20:27, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 13 Jan 2016 19:46, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > What shortcuts would you then like to
> > use to open a previously opened file?
>
> the ones related to searching the history.  i'm guessing you don't
> use things like history-search-backward and history-search-forward
> in your shell.  that allows you to type in the first few chars and
> then search based on that.

I do use ^R plus some characters on the command line to
retrieve commands I've used before.  But the history of
file positions isn't used for that in nano.  Strangely,
when wanting to search for something in nano, one can
type the first few characters of a previous search string
and then Tab will cycle through the ones that start with
those characters.

But when trying to open a file, Tab will just try to
complete the first few characters to a filename in the
current directory, and if there are multiple candidates
it will beep and a second Tab will bring up a list...
Weird, specialized functionality.  What other editor
does this?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service