nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: limiting the amount of position history

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: limiting the amount of position history
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 13:45:33 +0100

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 03:26, David Niklas wrote:
> When I read, edit, etc. files I tend to have several open, we are talking
> 10 source files at a time that I have open including header files to get
> the info I need to write the functions I'm working on.
> I also tend to open several more to implement as it were, a C quick test
> bed, to see how different things work.

Well, as long as you open all those files with the same nano, there
should be no problem, all their positions will be saved.

The problem is, of course, when you open different files with
different nanos on different terminals.  Then the last closed
nano will overwrite the history file and all the positions saved
by the other nanos will be lost.  I experience this regularly.
Can't be helped.  Reading back in the current history file
right before saving it and and trying to fuse it with nano's
current one... is too complicated.  An extra marker would need
to be added to tell nano whether it edited a file or not...
Too much trouble.

> So, I find that a list of 10 or so files is too small for me

The list is 200 long.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A no graphics, no pop-ups email service