nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 21:09:57 +0100

Hello Rishabh,

(Please keep the CC; the list should be included.)

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015, at 18:23, Rishabh Dave wrote:
> It is Rishabh.
>
> I executed the command as it is. I have attached the resulting file along.

Thanks.  I have cleaned up the patch for whitespace and have
trimmed unneeded statements.  Attached, renamed.

However, it does not do what I would have thought.

Currently, when I try to open a directory, nano beeps and says
that the given name is a directory.  For example, do:

  src/nano  doc/

Result on the statusbar: [ "doc" is a directory ]

But with your patch, nano now simply opens a blank buffer,
without any complaint.  It ignores the doc/ as if the user
typed nothing at all.  That is not good.  If the user typed
something, she meant to edit something; she did not mean to
open a blank buffer.

So... this is not the way to solve bug #44950
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44950).

Yes, the bug report suggests to discard anything on
the command line that is not a real and readable file,
but that was apparently not a good idea.

I now think that nano should report, for an argument
of the type nondir/filename, on the statusbar that
nondir is a nonexistent directory.

However, most other editors will open a blank buffer,
and will only complain at the moment the user tries
to save the file.  Pico, vim, emacs, gedit...

What should nano do?

> Utmost thanks for the directions.

No problem.  Better would be to check out SVN,
and make your changes there, and then create a
patch simply with 'svn diff >this.patch'.  You can
check out the current state of the source tree with:

  svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/nano/trunk/nano

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...