Re: Is monotone dead, or is there a path forward?

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: Is monotone dead, or is there a path forward?
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 13:29:04 +0100

I loved using Monotone and agree that the merging in mtn is far superior to the run of the mill merging you get with git (after all it's site did refer to it as a stupid/dumb content tracker). In fact mtn's merging is the best I've ever used. I liked the fact that changesets were stored efficiently as compressed deltas in mtn as well. However the world has moved on and the projects that I work on have had to switch to git. Younger developers coming into the organisation know git but have invariably never heard of mtn. Also git does allow for history rewriting, which I know is a thorny issue to some, but the reality is that it is needed and very useful (e.g. someone accidentally checks in some creds etc). Whilst you could do this in mtn it was much more painful. History is littered with examples of better technology losing out over more inferior (remember the video-2000/betamx/vhs debate?).

Moving forward doesn't necessarily mean making progress.