Re: [Monotone-devel] how to merge trees

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] how to merge trees
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:48:50 +0200

* Nathaniel Smith:

> Also, I'm going to assume that we don't support file suturing -- a
> file is born exactly once, and in any particular downwards path
> through the ancestry, dies exactly once or not at all.

With such a model, wouldn't it be easier to track file identity with
artificially generated names at creation time (called "UID" in other
posts)?

AFAICS, this approach breaks down when you try to merge changesets
with only partial history, where you would have to fall back to an
algorithm like the one you described.