[Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple repositories in one server

From: Daniel M. German
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple repositories in one server
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:59:27 -0700 (PDT)

 Bruce> > When working in server mode, monotone is only aware of one
 Bruce> > repository. What if I want to serve several repositories, one for
 Bruce> > each project? I guess the answer would be to set up a different
 Bruce> > server in a different port for each repository. But that is
 Bruce> > difficult to manage (I'll have to make sure that the same port is
 Bruce> > used every time for the same project).
 Bruce> >
 Bruce> > Would it be possible to serve different repositories with a single
 Bruce> > server?
 Bruce>
 Bruce> I don't think it is.  Why not use one server (with one repository),
 Bruce> and stick all the data from multiple repositories into it?
 Bruce>

I am still trying to understand the MT model. This is my workflow,
maybe somebody can suggest some alternatives:

* I keep most of my home directory in various CVS repositories and
  modules. Sometimes I keep files in RCS files (like it is the case
  for /etc/*.conf files)

* Some of these repositories are shared with other people (who all work on
  the given projects).

* I am afraid that one single repository will be too large to keep
  always in my laptop. I would like to divide it into several smaller
  ones, so I don't have to keep an entire copy of the repository
  hogging my laptop. For instance, I have one "historical" for
  projects that hardly change anymore. I am happy with a working copy
  of that data, but I don't really need to have the entire repository
  in my laptop all the time.

The main reason I decided for MT is that I want to be able to have
access in all my machines to the repository, and the centralized model
is not very effective with laptop users.

At this point I am starting to import my CVS modules into MT.

 Bruce> You can still keep those separate repositories with their individual
 Bruce> projects, but it doesn't seem too horrible to have a single server
 Bruce> that collects all the projects purely for the purpose of acting as a
 Bruce> server.

This is what intrigues me. How can I sync only one subdirectory and
not the entire repository?  When I push, how can I make sure that only
push the project that the recipient is aware for and not my entire
repository?

 Bruce> > Also, is it possible to restrict connections to a given set of hosts,
 Bruce> > potentially only 127.0.0.1?
 Bruce>
 Bruce> I don't think so.  Operating systems often have suitable network
 Bruce> features to do that, and when they don't there are often addons that
 Bruce> can do it.  I guess it would be straightforward enough to add to
 Bruce> monotone, but I'm not sure it would be that valuable, would it?
 Bruce>

granted.

 Bruce> I'm not sure why you'd want a server that only listened on 127.0.0.1,
 Bruce> but possibly that's just lack of imagination on my part?
 Bruce>

This way I can rely on ssh port forwarding to set up the connection
without having to worry about anybody else getting connected to it.

 Bruce> [...]

--
Daniel M. German                  "No style of thinking will survive which
                                   cannot produce a usable product when