Re: [Monotone-devel] how to add one RCS file to a MT repository?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] how to add one RCS file to a MT repository?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:16:57 -0700

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:03:20PM -0700, Daniel M. German wrote:

> Is there a users list? I could not find one.

Naw, we're still all cozy on one list for now...

> My question is, how do I add the contents of an RCS file so it gets
> properly placed in the tree hierarchy?
>
> For instance, I have an RCS file called file,v and I want it placed in
> the following directory, within the working copy of my MT repository:
>
> x/y/z
>
> in the working copy (the final name of the file would be x/y/z/file

I am not sure what exactly you want.  You can certainly check out
the latest version of file,v using RCS, and add that latest version to
the given point in your workying copy.  You could even write a little
script to check out each version, and commit them one at a time at the
given location.  You can't reach back in time to make it look like
thsi file was "here all along" -- monotone versions full tree states,
unlike CVS, and past tree states are immutable.

Perhaps you want to re-do a CVS import, after first dropping that RCS
file into the appropriate place?

> The man page or the info say I can load it, but they don't say how to
> specify the location.

There are two commands you might be thinking of:
  -- cvs_import: this takes a CVS repo (usually module, actually), and
     imports the full history of this repo into a newly created
     monotone branch
  -- rcs_import: just an RCS file parser, basically, useless except
     to developers debugging cvs_import support.

So, I am still not quite sure how I can help you...

"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an
instance of each of their referents.  Language is fixed.  Meaning is
certain.  Santa Claus comes down the chimney at midnight on December 24."
  -- The Language War, Robin Lakoff