Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch

From: Jerome Fisher
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:11:42 +0200

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:26:05PM +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
- Before it would always show full kb if bytes is > 16kb.
 I modified it to show kb or MB with one decimal after the comma.

Actually your patch uses KiB not kB and MiB instead of MB as far as I can see. :)

Seriously I learned that messing with the universal 10^3 based
prefix SI-system is not a good idea. So I would prefer kilobyte
and megabyte over kibibyte and mebibyte. If you really must use KiB,
why not label it correctly?
I think that it would be wrong to use the label "kB" to represent a multiple of 1000. The convention of using "kB" to represent a multiple of 1024 bytes is extremely well established, and adherence to it would - I think - be expected by the sorts of people who a) use monotone, and b) care what value is being represented. I'd definitely object to your preference being implemented.

I have no particular objection to using "KiB" myself, other than it being very, very silly.

I'd be genuinely interested to read an elaboration of how you "learned that messing with the... SI-system is not a good idea". I always considered the "*bi-" prefixes to be an unappealing solution to a non-problem.

Regards,
Jerome