Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:24:22 +0200

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

Seriously I learned that messing with the universal 10^3 based
prefix SI-system is not a good idea. So I would prefer kilobyte
and megabyte over kibibyte and mebibyte. If you really must use KiB,
why not label it correctly?

I strongly support naming them "kB". Without wishing to question your sanity, nobody sane uses the term "kibibyte". For all that there's doubtless 4000 logical reasons why "kilobyte" should mean 1000 bytes and for all that the marketing departments of hard disk manufacturers love pretending it does, *everyone else* thinks a kilobyte means 1024 bytes.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.