Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Notify script available
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 03:01:03 -0800

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:18:06PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:02:23 -0800, Nathaniel
> Smith <address@hidden> said:
>
> njs> On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 05:44:14PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
> wrote:
> njs> > richard> That looks quite nice, and really solves a major part
> njs> > richard> of my script.  I can still use those database
> njs> > richard> variables and make the above, just get OLD_LEAVES in a
> njs> > richard> different manner...
> njs>
> njs> I'm not entirely convinced this is a good use of database
> njs> variables...  such a notifier presumably needs some work area, a
> njs> database that polls, etc.; why not store the state it needs in a
> njs> lookaside file?
>
> Actually, Notify.pl only uses a work area to create temporary files (I
> resorted to that when the diff for certain revisions, for example a
> complete import of OpenSSL (!!!!) had my script start to trash the
> swap space).  Everything else happens in memory or, for the saved
> revision IDs, in the database itself.
>
> Actually, I had started with a lookaside file (or rather, one for each
> branch, but that doesn't matter), but switched to database variables
> when that feature got added.
>
> njs> This has the additional advantage that you can blow away the
> njs> database without causing a deluge of email messages...
>
> Now, that's actually a good argument.  I'll ponder this a bit more.
> I'm reworking Notify.pl anyway, using the new automate features that
> you added and tightening some code...

Hmm, but presumably if you're running this as a service, it's being
run repeatedly from a cron job or a 'while sleep; do ...' loop or
something, and using its own database and everything; by the time it
has its own database, it doesn't seem like you're losing a lot to give
it a lookaside table too :-)

> njs> > Still, automate ancestry_differences and automate toposort
> njs> > solve other parts of my script (that are buggy!) quite well.
> njs> > All I need now is automate log and automate changes, then I'll
> njs> > be able to make it really simple.  Hmm, maybe I can create
> njs> > automate log, at the very least...
> njs>
> njs> Hmm, see IRC discussion on the best way to split these up... :-)
>
> Honestly, it's a bit unfair to refer to IRC on a mailing list, unless
> all conversations are logged somewhere...

Yes, well, but sometimes I'm lazy :-).

In any case:
http://www.loglibrary.com/show_page/view/106?Multiplier=3600&StartTime=1112288278&Interval=6

> njs> I think I like adding a --depth argument to "log" much better
> njs> than "automate log" ATM, and not sure about the rest :-).
>
> I agree.  Maybe an 'automate log' could be a variant that's easier to
> parse...  But that's for the future, I'm actually quite happy with the
> thought of --depth with the usual log command.

Cool.

- Don't let your informants burn anything.
- Don't grow old.
- Be good grad students.
  -- advice of Murray B. Emeneau on the occasion of his 100th birthday