[Monotone-devel] Re: bug report ver 0.16, on windows

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: bug report ver 0.16, on windows
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:34:42 -0500

Jon Bright wrote:

Where are fork() and wait() being used? Should I maybe look at adding a forkandexec() call (which is supported everywhere), since Windows has no fork() ? wait() could then be used with the result of that...

perhaps. we will need help with this, because it's used to implement the execution of mergers and editors from lua. see "execute" in std_hooks.lua. we used to call system(...), but this of course permitted shell attacks by mangling shell scripts into filenames. joy. so now we use fork+exec. something similar -- so long as it doesn't call shell -- would be fine by me.

-graydon