Re: [Monotone-devel] bug report ver 0.16, on windows

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bug report ver 0.16, on windows
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:14:26 -0800

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 06:29:51PM +0100, dalcolmo wrote:

> Note: This is running on Win2000, in cygwin bash, with:
> HOME = d:/dalcolmo
> USERPROFILE = d:/dalcolmo
>
> It seems monotone expands the ~ wrongly to "C:/Documents and
> Settings/dalcolmo".
> I got the following when trying to init a database (in cygwin bash):

The current logic on Windows is:
 -- if HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH are defined, your homedir is $HOMEDRIVE+$HOMEPATH
 -- otherwise, error out and whine at the user
So, FYI, you seem to still have HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH defined to
C:/Documents and Settings/dalcolmo :-).  It would be nice to support
the others, though; what's the correct logic?  If USERPROFILE is set
use it; otherwise, if HOME is set, use it; otherwise, if HOMEDRIVE and
HOMEPATH are set, use them; otherwise, error out?

That's certainly doable, I'm just clueless about these baroque Windows
things, so I need clues from those who are familiar with them... is
the above description correct?

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein