[Monotone-devel] Re: CVS sync works (for me)

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: CVS sync works (for me)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:58:44 -0500

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

If sqlite is like other rdbms's, I'd think that we already have
indices on {manifest,file}_deltas.id, because usually unique
constraints generate implicit indicies.  Could be wrong, though.

yes, all 'unique' constraints generate indices in sqlite, as do all 'primary key' modifiers.

still, I think the 'unique' constraints -- in cases where they're a unique combination of multiple fields -- may not result in optimal index performance. for example if we request "all the certs on revision X" a lot, it might go slower than necessary since it needs to check that sub-index position within each of the K cert names. afaik the sqlite query planner isn't very clever, so in some cases I'm sure it just reverts to linear scan. feel free to experiment.

-graydon