Re: [Monotone-devel] checkout, setup and MT/options

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] checkout, setup and MT/options
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:54:43 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:09:25 -0700, Derek Scherger
<address@hidden> said:

derek> also, all commands now accept a --root=dir option that can be
derek> used to stop the search for a working directory at the
derek> specified directory rather than searching all the way to the
derek> root of the filesystem.  (similar to the -l/--local idea Peter
derek> had suggested).
derek>
derek> I'm not entirely sure this new option is (a) useful or (b)
derek> correct though and it's a bit of an experiment. there may be
derek> some cases where it does what you want, but it doesn't, for
derek> example, prevent

I think --root is a marvelous idea.  Consider distributed file systems
like AFS, and you'll realise you don't want it to look in /afs/.
Getting the directory listing at that level may take a lot of time!

Hmm, I currently have about zero time, but I know my brain will ponder
this some more.  I'll get back in 24 hours about this if I have more
to say then.

Cheers,
Richard

-----