[Monotone-devel] Some more issues

From: Jeremy Fincher
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Some more issues
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:07:10 -0500

Here are some more issues I've noticed while doing some research/working with monotone...

1. The project page on Savannah has many open items that seem to be resolved, but are still open. Many other items seem to apply to much older versions of Monotone (I saw at least one for 0.12). If there's anything I can do to help close some of these items, I'll be happy to help out; the bug list needs to be short if anyone's to trust Monotone with their source code. I'm interested in helping Monotone wherever I can, and I think reducing the number of open items on Savannah is some low-hanging fruit I could help with.

2. I couldn't sync with the official monotone server; the process seemed to hang (sucking up 100% CPU) after revision 1566. I did a ktrace on it (I'm using OSX) and it seemed that it was repeatedly calling select with a timeout of around a second; I'm not sure why that would peg the CPU, but it was doing that.

3. Graydon mentioned a packet format in #monotone; I got a small taste of that when adding the official key for the monotone repository. Is there any documentation as to the format of these packets, or, at least, is there a way for me to generate these packets for arbitrary "database things" like revisions and certs so I can reverse-engineer the format? I think this interface will be satisfactory for my attempt at implementing the "better than file granularity" selector for patches.

Jeremy