Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.

From: Jeremy Fincher
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Ideas and questions.
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:20:35 -0500

On Feb 14, 2005, at 7:55 AM, Logan Sackette wrote:

If the name can be changed, that would be nice.  But I
would rather see more effort place on storing multiple
projects in one database.  I like how SVN has one
database (though you can have multiple databases) for
multiple projects.

My only fear with using a single database for all the projects is the standard fear of "putting all my eggs in one basket."

We can also use a ~/.monotone (.mtn) directory to
store info about the databases being used.  That way,
we don't have to worry about where the user is
relative to checked-out directory.  SVN and other VCs
have solved such problems, so we certainly can.

A better solution, would be to store information about
the database being used in each subdirectory upon
checkout or when a directory/directory-tree is added.
That way, a person is free to blow away a directory
they were playing in without having to worry about
cleaning up the ~/.monotone (.mtn) directory.

Ideally, I think when mtn is run from a directory, it could search upwards in the directory tree until it finds an MT/ directory, and then use that directory, which holds the configuration for each working directory already. I know this is what Darcs does, and it seems both reasonable and intuitive.

Jeremy