Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How to get the newest cert beginning with a cer

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How to get the newest cert beginning with a certain substring?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:33:28 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, graydon hoare wrote:
trust rule evaluation a bit trickier. what happens if you trust me but not njs? what if you trust njs but not me? hm. perhaps not too tricky. it probably just means

function trust(cert)
return trust_signer(cert.signer) &&
        trust_author(cert.author)
end

I haven't checked but I was thinking that the trust is probably based on signature and not author but now I'm not sure.

an additional thought occurs to me though: considering that you're talking about decoupling the person who made the assertion from the person who signed it, might you also want to decouple the date the assertion was made from the date it was signed? i.e.

[id, name, value,
author, assertion-date,
signer, signing-date,
sig(id|name|value|author|assertion-date|signer|signing-date)]

yeah, that seems reasonable too.. it does accurately reflect what's going on at least. presumably signing-date will be updated by db rebuild when you're re-signing the certs.

I know that looks longer, but by eliminating the extra signatures from date and author certs (and storing dates and authors non-base64-encoded) it would be both less database space and much more efficient for some things. I can

that's what I was thinking too.

Cheers,
Derek