Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Is there something like libmonotone?

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Is there something like libmonotone?
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:07:03 +0100

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
Additionally monotone (IIRC) caches cert signature evaluation (which is
also costly IIRC).

It is costly, but actually we currently don't cache.

I could have sworn I saw something like this in the code (back when we
still used views ...) [Isn't there a cache of validated certs?]

So a command line automation interface would be much
faster and 'echo cmd | monotone automate interact' is easy enough to
omit a non interactive interface completely.

Mm, not so sure there; firstly because implementing the
read-eval-print loop in monotone is a chunk of new code, so it's less
incremental to develop, and secondly because we'd need to define some
sort of framing protocol on the output, so clients could tell where
the boundaries between different command outputs were, and this extra
framing junk would make the 'interact' interface much less useful to
shell scripts and the like.

Agreed.

- execute any sql command

No.  The whole point of this exercise is to define a stable,
supportable interface.  Exposing the database schema directly would
either mean that the interface isn't stable, or that we'd be
straightjacketed with respect to things like performance tweaking and
feature addition.

I wanted to make sure that there is no need to play any dirty tricks
(direct database opening, monotone execute) to gain performance if we
forgot a feature/command. This should be a temporal solution, of course.

   Christof