Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Looking at the code affected in bug 9752 leaves

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Looking at the code affected in bug 9752 leaves a weird taste...
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:22:41 +0200

Hi,

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

Hmm?  I'm curious, do you have anything you can direct me to, so I can
see for myself?  It feels like such files should really be regarded as
binary...

RFC822 strikes me as a good example :-)

jon> b) some tools are broken and only work with one or the other line
jon> ending (I believe there are several affected MS tools, and I
jon> recall seeing problems with Borland Builder with CVS checking out
jon> its project files using CR+LF because it was on Windows, but
jon> Builder having written them with LF-only and expecting to get
jon> them back in that format)

Spank Borland.

I'd love to, and not just for that, but I suspect they'll ignore me :-)

jon> c) you're checking out text files which have CR+LF conventions
jon> (so that Windows Notepad doesn't screw them up) onto a website
jon> hosted on a Linux box.

Hmm?  Do I get it right, that if you serve files only using LF as line
ending, and you then want to, say, look at the HTML source (and then,
at least with IE, end up using Notepad as a viewer), it gets served to
Notepad with LF line endings?

Hm - I think in that case not. I think IE swaps in CRLF. But if you were offering a text file for download (i.e. people do "save link as"), it just downloads it, afaik.

*gnnnnnn*

This whole subject makes me go like that. I'd love to just say "lines end with LF. We read them with LFs, we write them with LFs, we compare them with LFs, anybody who wants a CR can jump under a bus". Sadly, nobody has yet given me a shotgun to go round doing gene-pool-pruning on people who code CRLF-only tools :-)

*sigh*

Exactly :-)

--
Jon Bright