Re: [Monotone-devel] Trouble with Mac OS X and monotone

From: Andreas Känner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Trouble with Mac OS X and monotone
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:13:20 +0200

I got it to work a couple of days ago, although not in a way that can be pushed upstream. I had to disable international support in order to do so.

What does this mean for my work? Is it still possible to put international text files under version control?

I tried many times to get it to work with libintl and libiconv, but whenever I linked against both, I got conflicts on the symbol "locale_charset". What finally ended up working was passing --disable-nls to configure (I'm actually not sure if this did anything, since I had to manually remove the calls to the libintl functions), taking out the couple of calls to the libintl function that didn't get removed by this (in sanity.hh and montone.cc), and adding -liconv to the LDFLAGS variable during configure. This was, of course, a quick and dirty hack to get monotone up and running, so I can pull a copy from graydon's server and actually modify the configure scripts appropriately for the future, and hopefully be able to post some patches. I don't know how to use autoconf yet, so I'm learning that, but once I figure it out, I hope to be able to fix all of these issues for good. Another issue I had was that make check was failing because of some differences in some of the programs available on Mac OS X and Linux. The sha1sum command is not installed on the Mac, so I made a simple shell script wrapper for openssl that did the same thing. cp and killall take different arguments on Mac OS X and Linux, so parts of the test that use those don't work for me. I'm trying to learn autoconf so I can fix those issues, too.