Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE is building for Linux?

From: Gerardo Ballabio
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE is building for Linux?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:30:23 +0100

Thanks Tony. I downloaded the updated archive and this time it worked.

Regarding the failure with lua, this was the error:

lua.c:80:31: fatal error: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
 #include <readline/readline.h>
                               ^
compilation terminated.

It seems that readline should be added to the list of requirements. Indeed I installed libreadline6-dev (Debian package) and then lua was built successfully.

I found another issue: "make download-gcc" doesn't download the packages that are built for the native target. It only downloads pkgconf, binutils, mingw-w64 and gcc, that is, those that gcc explicitly depends on (and itself). It misses gmp, isl, cloog, cmake, mpfr, mpc and yasm (pkgconf is built both native and cross, so it's there). So if I "make download-gcc" and then try to build offline, I fail.

I suppose gmp and the others were removed as explicit dependencies because they must not be cross-built anymore. But that broke the "make download-*" thing.

Gerardo

Hi Gerardo,

> On 12 Dec 2015, at 09:32, Gerardo Ballabio <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> With my surprise, it started building for target "i686-pc-linux-gnu" instead of "i686-w64-mingw32.static" as it had always done before,

We recently reorganised the toolchain[1] so that native components (mostly `gcc` libs) are only built once instead of being built for every target. `cmake` was also added to ensure a consistent version we can investigate and patch.

> and ended with a failure in building lua, which I didn't ask to build and isn't a dependency of gcc as far as I can see.

Native `lua` is only required when using the new `luarocks` plugin and I’ve moved it to the plugins directory[2] so that it’s built when requested.

> See the attached build log.

Could you post the full `/home/io/misc/mxe/github/log/lua_i686-pc-linux-gnu` log? I haven’t seen any issues with native builds of it so far.

> Has the building procedure changed (the web page still says to just run "make")?

That will always be the procedure for a default build. We’ve got new targets like `i686-w64-mingw32.static.posix` but the current ones will also continue to work.

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/pull/925
[2] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/62906f9c9d5749ec78cac06e1687b48bd6b6f9ac