Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of release 2.8

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of release 2.8
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 02:17:21 +1000

On 08/09/2009, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> 10.6 looks like it may be a long exercise. Apple have updated their
>> compiler toolchain and it breaks a few things, without an easy way to
>> drop back to the old versions.
>
> Thanks for your investigation. If it is too much work, let's just
> drop a note in the docs and wait for Apple to do their homework.

Unfortunately, I think they have; and I think this is part of their
control games going too far. The in-place upgrade to 10.6 removes all
dev tools from /usr. Fair enough, the os controls /usr, dropping ppc
support is a big change, new Xcode is easily available. But no
warning, no noise on the internets? This goes far beyond dropping
support for deprecated apis.

> In other words, this isn't exactly a win32 cross compiling problem,
> but a general problem that MacOS 10.6 is unable to compile a GCC.
> Did I understand that correctly?

That's the impression I got from the bug tracker at macports. I think
the macports toolchain has resolved most issues (for native
compilation); and my next efforts were either to use this, or try to
pick up the appropriate patches. If we're going to use the patches,
I'd probably add a POST_PKG_UNPACK or APPLY_LOCAL_PATCHES hook to the
Makefile. Setting configure options in *.mk files is fine, but I'd
prefer to be lazy with larger changes. I'll start another topic before
changing the Makefile though.

> Just to be sure, it would be great if you could try to compile
> a vanilla GCC (and maybe Binutils) on that system. Just grab their
> sources from:

Binutils succeeds with ./configure --disable-werror (and make is now
gmake). I'm having trouble downloading GCC, will try again in the next
few days.

> If that succeeds, the incompatibility might be introduced by
> the MinGW project or by TDM. In that case, we could try to
> switch from TDM-GCC to MinGW-GCC, or make an even bigger jump
> to mingw-w64: http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/

Interesting, I hadn't seen mingw-64 before, and it prompted a thought.
I just checked a few binaries, and the OSX toolchain seems to be 64
bit by default. I know you've got Debian x64 working now, but given
the open issues with FreeBSD amd64, I'm guessing there will be more
issues than Apple's changes. Let's make a note in the docs for the
time being.

Regards,