Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 06:08:27 -0600

On Thursday, March 10, 2016, ayleph <address@hidden> wrote:
> On March 10, 2016 9:35:32 AM CST, ayleph <address@hidden> wrote:
> >On March 10, 2016 9:16:19 AM CST, Tom Browder <address@hidden>
> >wrote:
> >>The main question for me as site admin I think is:  Can the media be
> >>easily divided into "albums" in some kind of tree format, e.g., home
> >>=> group => group member
> >The "collections" in MediaGoblin are not hierarchical. All media exist
> >at the same "level" and are generally all viewable paginated in order
> >of most recent at the  MediaGoblin main page. (There is an
> >"archivalook" plugin which lets an admin "curate" the media shown on
> >the main page instead of having recent media shown.)
>create collections that exist within my user channel. Any collections I create
>are accessed
> at  some URL like my.mediagoblin.site/u/ayleph/.... So there aren't any kind
> of world albums
> or collections, and everything is associated with a user account.

But I hope there can be more admin (system) control over that via
Python (or Javascript).

> Hope that helps.

It does, ayleph, thanks.  That got me to thinking more about our needs
and also why I have found popular photo sharing sites so hard to use
for my purposes.

For our site I envision some immutable tags attached to photos or
other media as they are uploaded:

+ user ID, date and time uploaded, and media type (all determined by the system)
+ collection name (required to complete the upload; may be new or
selected from existing names)
+ date each item was produced (ISO format: yyyy-mm-dd [use asterisks
for unknown values; add some kind of annotation for estimates)

Other annotations could then be made by the contributing user or other
users. Annotations should be categorized by type. Some thoughts:
people shown, other objects shown, notes, etc.

Have one or more selection pages to refine presentations by various
defined groupings or a more general selection of tags--thus satisfying
my need for a hierarchy by how the tags are presented for selection.

If that sort of thing is now possible or could be made possible with
plugins, then MediaGoblin sounds like a winner for me--especially
since it looks as if its styling and theming is quite customizable.

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

-Tom