Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine

From: ayleph
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:35:32 -0600

On March 10, 2016 9:16:19 AM CST, Tom Browder <address@hidden> wrote:
>The main question for me as site admin I think is:  Can the media be
>easily divided into "albums" in some kind of tree format, e.g., home
>=> group => group member

The "collections" in MediaGoblin are not hierarchical. All media exist at the
same "level" and are generally all viewable paginated in order of most recent
at the  MediaGoblin main page. (There is an "archivalook" plugin which lets an
admin "curate" the media shown on the main page instead of having recent media
shown.)

If I may, I'll use an analogy to make sure I understand what you're asking.
You'd like a tree of albums, which reminds me of the way I filter email into
folders and subfolders in Thunderbird. Generally, an email exists at a single
"level" in Thunderbird's folder hierarchy. MedaGoblin does not support that.
Rather, the "collections" in MediaGoblin are more like an advanced sort of tag
where I can group media together and maybe add my own commentary to the
collection. This would be more akin to how I store email in Gmail, where it all
sits in one "level" (the Archive folder), but there are various labels assigned
to individual messages, such that a message may appear in many different label
views. In practice, I might use a collection to group all of the pictures I
took on a trip (Japan Summer 2013), while I might use tags for more generic
things (blue, dog, Nikon, etc.).

Have I understood your question correctly?
--
ayleph