Re: [GMG-Devel] Apply to work on MediaGoblin for GSoC 2015!

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Apply to work on MediaGoblin for GSoC 2015!
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:45:09 +0200

On 2015-03-26
Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I think it's wise to avoid ad hominem pro argumentation, no cult of great
> leader here :)
>
> What's RMS' rationale? What's Thomas's? What's fr33dom's?
>
> Mine is that internet advertisers so what they do and nothing you do had
> any effect on that. If they give you money with no strings attached, why
> not take it?

That is probably the way many people think, which is why gsoc continues to be
popular even among GNU projects and people who believe in software freedom
ethics.

The way I see it, collaborating in some way with people who do unethical things
in public, proudly, feels unethical as well. It marks their work as legitimate
in a sense, and encourages them to continue to do what they do, because if you
take the money you create demand for more profit, which is more spying and more
centralized proprietary software and services.

For example, would you make business with people whose money comes from killing
people? If not, is spying on people and making proprietary software different
in this sense? If yes, why?

I wouldn't take g00gle's money for the same reason I wouldn't take it from
micro$oft, apple, oracle and so on, or any other organization acting in
unethical ways...

Anyway I didn't intend to go into the philosophy - although I don't mind - just
wondering if this view makes sense to anyone else.

---
fr33domlover         <http://www.rel4tion.org/people/fr33domlover>
GPG key ID:          63E5E57D (size: 4096)
GPG key fingerprint: 6FEE C222 7323 EF85 A49D  5487 5252 C5C8 63E5 E57D