Re: [GMG-Devel] Kickstarter/indiegogo like Diaspora

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Kickstarter/indiegogo like Diaspora
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:26:00 -0600

address@hidden writes:

> john <address@hidden> escribió:
>>I was wondering if MediaGoblin Could do a CrowdSource campaign on
>>Kickstarter/Indiegogo to improve media goblin kinda like diaspora
>>http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mbs348/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr
>>___________________________________
>
> http://mediagoblin.org/news/we-did-it.html
>
> Mediagoblin already did something better than kickstarter and
> indiegogo as it used fsf's free software alternative. Civicrm
>
> Do you mean do it again under a different premise? From what I gather
> from the campaign it is quite time consuming on developers so there
> must be a good reason to do it.
>
> I am sure Mediagoblin still accepts donations
> https://crm.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=8

We did indeed run a campaign in 2012.  And actually, we'll likely be
running another one in early 2014!  If you were at the last meeting, you
probably heard me rattle off some loose plans and information on what
I'm currently thinking:

  http://mediagoblin.org/irclogs/irc_meeting-2013-11-02.log.html

I can't give clear details yet, things are still forming.  The summary
to the question of "will you continue doing fulltime MediaGoblin
development after the end of this year?" is that I am going to try.
That IRC meeting summarizes about as much that's congealed enough for me
to talk about right now anyway.  I think MediaGoblin needs sustained
resources, and hopefully, even the capacity to grow in the number of
sustained resources.  I am working on it.  More info soon.  :)

In the meanwhile, if you're interested in helping, feel free to shoot me
an email privately if:

a) you'd like to provide feedback on some questions we'll be having
   while planning our next campaign
b) you know of some institution that may be interested in donating to
   the project, or may be interested in either grant-giving or doing
   some sort of contracting work related to MediaGoblin.

More interesting news on this front in the not too distant future.

 - Chris