Re: [GMG-Devel] video transcoding creates excessively restricted files

From: ayleph
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] video transcoding creates excessively restricted files
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:28:01 -0700

On 07/02/2013 11:19 AM, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
Hi,

I have a mediagoblin setup with nginx/separate-celery following the
instructions at
http://docs.mediagoblin.org/siteadmin/production-deployments.html.  When
I upload a video that needs transcoding, the transcoded file and the
thumbnail are created with 0600 permissions.  So nginx, which is running
as a different user, is not able to serve those files.

I tracked down the problem to tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile, which always
creates files with 0600 permissions, rather than doing 0666 and letting
the umask adjust the actual permissions.

I have a patch that fixes the problem, but I'm curious to know if other
people have encountered this problem, and if there are better ways to
solve it.

I have most definitely encountered this problem, but I hadn't tracked down the culprit. Do you have an account on the MediaGoblin Trac site? It would be the proper place to submit a bug and include your patch, I think.

http://issues.mediagoblin.org/

--
ayleph