maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] place=locality #9699

From: Florian Lohoff
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] place=locality #9699
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:12:00 +0200

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 10:06:27AM +0200, David MENTRE wrote:
> Hello Florian,
>
> 2012/9/7 Florian Lohoff <address@hidden>:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place
> >
> > I just talk about place=locality which is from the OSM Wiki an
> >
> >         "For an unpopulated named place."
> >
> > So it cant be a "Village" or "Dorf". Its a named place.
>
> Unfortunately, French mappers have a different view:
>
>  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:place
> "Le tag "place" est une indication de ville, village, hameau, etc."
> In English: ""place" tag is an indication of city, village, hamlet, etc.".
>
> I am not saying that the French view is better than the German one or
> the reverse. Just that there is a disagreement and if we remove
> place=locality from Index, we'll get angry messages from French
> mappers. :-)

There is a multitude of place= values which are definitly not a
Village/City

        farm
        continent
        county
        island
        locality
        region
        state

These should all be ignored when building the index for Villages.

It should more be a positive list of tag values which get listed -
something like:

        town
        village
        hamlet
        isolated_dwelling
        suburb

There should be some duplicate eliminating when the name shows up in the
Map title. e.g. dont list "G├╝tersloh" when that shows up in the map
title ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 address@hidden