Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] Asturian translation for ocity

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] Asturian translation for ocitysmap
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 19:52:52 +0200

Hello Xuacu,

Le Sat, 05 May 2012 00:40:20 +0200,
Xuacu Saturio <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Hi Thomas, thank you for your quick response.

You're welcome. Thanks for your contributions!

> > * I didn't no how to say "Spain" in Asturian, so for the moment in
> > the map language selector, you will see "España (AST)". If you tell
> > me how to say "Spain" in Asturian, I will fix this.
>
> "Spain" in Asturian is "España", so your guess is right: "España
> (AST)"

Great, thanks.

> I send an attached file with my best try for such transformations,
> loosely based in Catalan part. Please, note our two special letters
> "ḥ" and "ḷ" which I added as accented letters. It's for sorting such
> special letters, right?

Yes, but it depends on how you consider these letters. In French, we
have e é è ê, which are in fact the same letter: e, and therefore, all
street names starting by e é è or ê should be categorized under "e",
and order as if their first letter was "e".

However, there are other languages that consider the letter and the
corresponding accentuated letter as different ones. For example, if I'm
correct, in spanish, n and ñ are two different letters, and therefore
they should be two categories in a street index: one for streets
starting with n and one for streets starting with ñ.

> Out of curiosity, the "re.UNICODE" part expects some kind of
> LC_SOMETHING standard Unicode definition? Asturian language has been
> just accepted in Unicode's CLDR and it's definitions won't be
> available until next revision of Unicode (by August).

I must confess I don't remember exactly what this re.UNICODE means.
I'd have to dig into the Python documentation.

I have committed your Python code, and deployed it on dev.m.o. You can
see a test rendering at
http://dev.maposmatic.org/rendered/000616_2012-05-07_19-48_TestAsturian.png.
The "Calle" transformation seems to work properly.

> > Done. You can fetch the .po file to translate at
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic.git/plain/www/locale/ast_ES/LC_MESSAGES/django.po.
>
> Work in progress here ;)

Excellent, thanks!

Thomas