Re: Fwd: setting SHELL variable

From: Jonathan Baccash
Subject: Re: Fwd: setting SHELL variable
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:12:06 -0700

>  jb> But a typical makefile depends on the platform-specific compiler,
>  jb> utility programs... even the shell!
>
> Not much you can do about compilers; certainly no one would suggest
> bundling a compiler with make!

I guess you are right, but perhaps there could be some sort of
framework whereby make could be easily extended by a compiler vendor.
The makefile writer simply says "use multithreaded C runtime library"
or "turn on optimizations", and the compiler's extension to the make
framework translates this into its own compiler options.  If this got
to be a hot feature, perhaps then we could reasonably expect our
compiler (or open source community) to provide such an extension.

Jon.