Re: Build macro not to search for sh.exe or bash.exe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build macro not to search for sh.exe or bash.exe
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:23:09 +0200

> From: "David Baird" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:50:57 +0300
>
> Paul Smith wrote:
> Isn't setting the SHELL variable in your makefile sufficient? I'm afraid
> I'm not familiar with the gory details of shell selection on Windows
> systems. Can you discuss this issue on the <address@hidden> mailing
> list to get more specifics? I do read that list.
>
> I respond:
> First, I built GNU Make with the NMakefile and Visual C++. No, the SHELL
> variable is not helpful to force using cmd.exe instead of sh.exe.

IMHO, that's a bug: if the Makefile sets SHELL, Make should use it
(except that it should perhaps look for the shell's binary along the
PATH, even if Makefile specifies "SHELL = /bin/sh").  That's what the
MS-DOS port does, and since the introduction of that feature, I've
never heard any complaints about this behavior.