mailman

Re: UTF-8 character set missing on lists.gnu.org archive indexes

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: UTF-8 character set missing on lists.gnu.org archive indexes
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:08:35 +0100

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:53:28AM -0400, Ian Kelling wrote:

> Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> writes:
> > Can we get this problem in the index pages fixed in some manner,
> > either by adding a <meta> tag, or changing the web server to send
> > a charset.
> >
> > AFAICT, for the static archive pages, the web server is only responding
> > with

> > which means the HTML pages default to ISO-8859-1 unless there's a
> >
> > The dynamic mailman admin pages are already getting served with a
> > correct header

> > so rather than adding  <meta> tags to the static archive pages, it
> > might be easiest to have the web server send this utf-8 charset
> > for all pages, both static archives & dynamic mailman admin pages.
>
> Yes. We can definitely fix this. Its been reported before, thanks for
> bringing it up along with solutions. We use apache from trisquel 8 with
> defaultish settings (i see nothing about content-type in greping
> /etc/apache), and mharc or mhonarc (one calls the other and I can't
> remember which is responsible for these pages) to generate the html. So,
> one of those needs to be altered. If you feel like figuring out and
> making a specific fix, that would be welcome, it will take us longer
> otherwise.

IIUC, with Apache there's a couple of options

 1. Set a default charset for any text/plain or text/html content:

     AddDefaultCharset utf-8

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset

 2. Set a default charset based on file name extension, eg for .html
    files only:

     AddCharset utf-8 .html

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_mime.html#addcharset

They can be set globally or per vhost or per directory as best
suits the web server config you have deployed, or the scope you want
it to apply to

Regards,
Daniel