mailman

Re: UTF-8 character set missing on lists.gnu.org archive indexes

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: UTF-8 character set missing on lists.gnu.org archive indexes
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 11:53:28 -0400

Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi GNU Mailman Administrators,
>
> Looking at the the mailing list archive index pages: eg
>
>  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/threads.html
>
> The sender real names are mangled for any person (like myself) who
> has non-ASCII-7 characters in their name. eg it shows
>
>    Daniel P . Berrangé
>
> instead of
>
>    Daniel P. Berrangé
>
> Some people suffer even worse:
>
>   Kővágó, Zoltán,
>
> vs
>
>   Kővágó, Zoltán
>
> Mangling their names is not very welcoming to our contributors :-(
>
> The individual message pages display correctly which is good:
>
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-10/msg06387.html
>
> The difference is that the per-message pages have:

> which is lacking in the index pages.
>
> Can we get this problem in the index pages fixed in some manner,
> either by adding a <meta> tag, or changing the web server to send
> a charset.
>
> AFAICT, for the static archive pages, the web server is only responding
> with

> which means the HTML pages default to ISO-8859-1 unless there's a
>
> The dynamic mailman admin pages are already getting served with a
> correct header

> so rather than adding  <meta> tags to the static archive pages, it
> might be easiest to have the web server send this utf-8 charset
> for all pages, both static archives & dynamic mailman admin pages.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Yes. We can definitely fix this. Its been reported before, thanks for
bringing it up along with solutions. We use apache from trisquel 8 with
defaultish settings (i see nothing about content-type in greping
/etc/apache), and mharc or mhonarc (one calls the other and I can't
remember which is responsible for these pages) to generate the html. So,
one of those needs to be altered. If you feel like figuring out and
making a specific fix, that would be welcome, it will take us longer
otherwise.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF