mailman

Re: replies and dmarc?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: replies and dmarc?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 16:27:50 -0600

    Hrm. What version of mailman are you using?

Well, it's whatever comes with centos7 -- RH version numbers are pretty
meaningless, but it declares itself to be 2.1.15. I haven't compared to
the original GNU releases, but I suspect in reality it is equivalent to
something newer. The code apparently has the requisite code to Munge, in
CookHeaders.py.

    Munge From means that
    mailman needs to do dns lookup of dmarc policy, you could tcpdump or
    something to see if that is happening.

I discovered today that the Munging is happening -- but I think only
when a msg is received by a different user than the sender. Or maybe
something else was screwy with my earlier tests. In any case, it seems
clear now that archives are not Munged -- which I guess is a feature.

Meanwhile, BTW, I've added some pre-mailman archiving (that is, adding
/home/some/archive/file to the list: entry in the alias file) so I can
compare messages as received by mailman to what it is sending out.

Thanks for the hints on dns lookup and all else. --best, karl.