lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] How stable is 2.9.0?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] How stable is 2.9.0?
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 20:02:00 -0400

On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 07:21:17PM -0400, Travis Siegel wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've been using 2.9.0 since version dev 5, and I've not
> encountered any major bugs with it.  I'm fairly confident it will be plenty
> stable enough for your use.
>
> It's possible you'll find something else thatwon't do the trick for you, but
> it's plenty stable enough for everyday use.
>

> On 11/1/2022 11:00 AM, Mouse wrote:
> > The lynx I've been using - 2.8, from 1999 - started exhibiting a
> > disturbing failure mode, today: I got "lynx in free(): warning: chunk
> > is already free.", indicating a memory-management bug, and, in at least
> > one session, got a coredump (ditto, but even more so).
> >
> > I could just treat this as a debugging exercise.  But I wanted to at
> > least look at version-jumping instead.  It appears to me that the
> > latest release is 2.8.9, with 2.9.0 being still in development
> > versions.  But a lot of development versions, especially for
> > open-source software, are plenty usable enough.  And I notice that
> > 2.9.0dev looks relatively stable; the last-change time I see is
> > 2021-08-07.  So, my question is, is 2.9.0 in good enough shape that I

2.9.0dev.10 is the latest development release:

https://lynx.invisible-island.net/current/CHANGES.html#v2.9.0dev.10

There's a dozen commits past that

https://github.com/ThomasDickey/lynx-snapshots

but I'm busy with a different upgrade.

The main difference between those is the number of platforms on which I've
built/tested (snapshots, 2-3, development 5-10, release 25-30).

ymmv

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net