lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] How stable is 2.9.0?

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] How stable is 2.9.0?
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 23:19:51 -0400 (EDT)

>> The effort involved in a leap forward is rather high, though.
> Unless [...], the effort should be small.  Just `configure;make;make
> install` (with a bunch of testing in between the two `make` steps, of
> course).

Where the effort lurks is in the step you've glossed over as
"configure".  I quite dislike the ./configure paradigm; my thoughts on
the matter are in my blah post of 2009-11-20, available at
http://ftp.rodents-montreal.org/mouse/blah/2009-11-20-1.html, in case
you're interested in elaboration.  (Its use of ./configure is one of
the few things I definitely dislike about lynx.)

The brief look I had at 2.8.9 makes me think it would be easier to
configure it manually by editing the half-dozen files affected than to
vet the configure script properly.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse@rodents-montreal.org