lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] More or less (was Re: Where does -dump output go?)

From: Travis Siegel
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] More or less (was Re: Where does -dump output go?)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 14:02:07 -0500

Apparently, some unix variants still sim-link more to less (or vice versa), but as you mentioned, ubuntu isn't one of those.  For what it's worth though, modern day implementations of more pretty much act like less anyway, so the arguments for using one over the other are pretty much a wash in modern os implementations.

However, to make things more complicated, apparently there's another pager called most that adds to the confusion. :)

For what it's worth, I've never used less as a pager, and can still scroll forward/backward/search/open editors and all the other things less proponents claim more doesn't do, which has always puzzled me, since I have always been able to do those things except on particular obstinate versions of some oses, but I believe any reasonably new implementation of more can easily act as a stand-in for less, so it's all kind of moot.