lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Where does -dump output go?

From: Donn Terry
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Where does -dump output go?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 16:06:18 -0800

Thanks.
After much more fussing, I found that the program I was executing wasn't
really Lynx, but a wrapper exe (called Lynx) that executes the real Lynx
that's in a sub-directory, and apparently arranges stdout to be an
ephemeral window and (optionally) provides a splash screen. That seems to
be the package that PortableApp creates. I found that out by a
combination of looking at files and guessing what probably is going on.  I
get what I wanted (and expected) if I execute the "real" one in the
sub-directory.

The PortableApp wrapper documentation says nothing about that wrapper, and
there doesn't appear to be (short of some real guessing) any way to disable
that "feature". See https://portableapps.com/support/ .  (Other than that,
PortableApp seems a pretty decent idea.)

Donn

P.S. This may be ancient, but if you want to do the less is more thing...,
and speaking of cat try the command
   cat "food in cans"
Truth...