lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Only half CJK characters displayed

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Only half CJK characters displayed
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 22:18:41 +0000

On 17/12/2020 18:53, gyc@apvc.uk wrote:
first of all, thanks a lot for the effort of developing a feature-rich and fully functional web browser. I just migrated from Firefox to here.

Lynx actually predates the GUI mainstream browsers.

Therefore I suspect that there might be some bug with `lynx` that
hinders the generation of font cache. I'm not proficient with
programming but I hope this can be fixed in a future release.

I can't think of any reason why Lynx would get its hands dirty with such details; it is a character cell display browser. The only thing it needs to know about CJK characters is that they are double width, and it seems to be getting that right. (Of course I could have missed the bolting on of a GUI for CJK.)

I think we need details of your GUI support.

Also the title is a bit confusing. All the characters are being displayed. However, for some proportion of both Kanji and Kana glyphs, only the leftmost about three quarters is actually being rendered, even though there is enough space for the full glyph. Many are being rendered in full,and with strokes beyond the rightmost side position of the failed ones. E.g. in the line starting "[4]" if you look at both occurrences of "移動", 動 is truncated, but 移 isn't, but both are present.

Assuming a GUI font renderer hasn't been bolted on, and Linux or similar, I'd suggest running lynx under script, to capture the exact byte sequence being sent to the terminal emulator.