lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?

From: Karen Lewellen
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:58:39 -0500 (EST)

You would be incorrect, at least based on both what google staff have told me personally, and the public. In October 2018, a senior staff member at google stated that since only crooks turned off JavaScript, Google was starting to use their own proprietary edition which among other things is supposed to detect the presence of adaptive technology for recaptcha, and track specifics about your account access . i can share the link to that article, or you can likely find the reference by doing a search for the term "google will not let you log into your account without JavaScript." Additionally, when I first discovered that some Linux associated browsers, Links and Elinks, which can be compiled with a form of JavaScript, but which no longer work to log into gmail, I was told by Thomas, a member of Google's accessibility team, that these browsers did not use the "right kind" of JavaScript. In short, the development Google is now using to track users more directly. Some of the articles I find speak of a more open source form of JavaScript, which some Linux developers use, but which now Google will not permit. in short Google is defining JavaScript in such a way so as to allow only their tracking features to function so to speak. I am going to likely use the wrong term for this design concept, but Google's new idea of JavaScript also goes against the concept of progressive development, where a site builds upon HTML, so that more tools can reach and utilize site services. Granted, I still have a post from the google accessibility team where a member claimed that a person should not expect to use the same adaptive tools they could before. Given how often adaptive technology serves as a substitute for a persons hands, or brain, or eyes, that attitude seems disturbing. Still Google is choosing to define things different from industry standard. Otherwise a greater degree of progressive development would be in place now. Oh, and if a current discussion on the Google accessibility list is correct, come January, even Jaws will no longer be supported, with Google requiring you to use their voice box software.
So much for Google mirroring the  industry standard.
 Just my thoughts,

 Karen