lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML 5

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML 5
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 13:35:50 +0000 (UTC)

David Woolley dixit:

> I tend to ignore HTML5 as I think it has totally lost the original spirit of

Yeah, same here. I’m currently wishing for an HTML/4.10 which would be
the same as XHTML/1.1 except these Ruby annotations, and without the
XML component (basically a subset of HTML/4.01 and XHTML/1.1).

> However, it was always my opinion that the IMG element was just a special sort
> of link in terms of the original HTML philosophy and therefore elements with
> names like audio and video may well best be treated as links.
>
> It's never going to work well, though, because people who use them will use
> them to construct a single, compound, multimedia document, not to generate a
> portion of web in which the HTML helps you to find video and audio resources.

I was thinking of that you tube thingy though… people often throw
such links around in IRC, and for me to be able to lynx them, 'd'
the .avi file and run mplayer on it would be optimal (what’s with
all this watching videos in a webbrowser, anyway?).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Sometimes they [people] care too much: pretty printers [and syntax highligh-
ting, d.A.] mechanically produce pretty output that accentuates irrelevant