lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML 5

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] HTML 5
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 14:18:21 +0100

Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

Hi,

as far as I can see, the <audio> and <video> tags contain something that
could be made into a hyperlink to the actual multimedia content by a
browser (to be downloaded and used with for example mplayer).

I tend to ignore HTML5 as I think it has totally lost the original spirit of HTML and is really intended purely as a medium for visual advertising copy, and moreover for use by people who code by cutting and pasting bad examples.

However, it was always my opinion that the IMG element was just a special sort of link in terms of the original HTML philosophy and therefore elements with names like audio and video may well best be treated as links.

It's never going to work well, though, because people who use them will use them to construct a single, compound, multimedia document, not to generate a portion of web in which the HTML helps you to find video and audio resources.

--
David Woolley